Health And Safety For ......

The UK's Health And Safety Directory

header photo

Your Ad here......





Industries    Topics    Controlling Risks     Services     Products


HSE Strategy




Consultation Alerts           HS-4 News

Latest Reviews: Workers & Water 

HSE Offshore Jobs

Obtaining Insurance For Your Business

You will probably need employers' liability insurance if your business has employees.

If one of your employee's becomes ill or are injured as a result of the work they do for you, then they are entitled to and may claim compensation from you. Employer’s liability insurance enables you to meet the costs of any compensation from a claim for your employees’ injuries or illness.

There are a few circumstances where a business does not require any employers' liability insurance.

1. If you have no employees

2. You are a family business and all employees are closely related to you

For further details see the following HSE leaflet Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969: A brief guide for employers.

Where to get employers liability insurance?

Employers liability insurance is available through insurers or intermediaries like brokers or trade associations. Sometimes it comes as part of an insurance package designed to cover a range of business needs.

The Financial Services Authority (FSA) has a registered list of authorised insurers available here FSA website link to external website or phone the FSA consumer helpline on 0845 606 1234.

For more information on other insurances please visit the GOV.UK website link to external website.